Bug

Bug

Saturday, November 27, 2010

Hall sensors and motors

I've been working on adding the hall sensors to my motor, I'm putting six sensors in the back motor. I only expect to use 3 as per normal BLDC position feedback but I'm putting 3 more backup sensors in. I have heard they sometimes fail so this means if I do have a problem I can simply switch to the backup without having to teardown the motor to repair it.
I made 6 little pieces of fiberglass circuit board that fit snugly in the gaps in the motor stators, they have cutout pieces for the hall sensors, I'll glue the hall sensors to the fiberglass with polyester resin which I found out is used in the fabrication of the winding parts of AC induction motors. If it is suitable for this then it should be good for my motor too, its cheap and easy to use.
I stacked the motors together and took a photograph, I had to remove the plastic protection guard from the bottom motor as they would not fit with it in place.

I had my first quote back from one machine shop and I'm awaiting more, it will be 4-5 weeks before I actually have machined parts in my hands ready to assemble, so plenty of time to finish other tasks.

1 comment:

  1. You can write a bit more about the set of sensors in the engine

    ReplyDelete